Confirmation is one of the seven sacraments, namely Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist, Reconciliation, Anointing of the Sick, Matrimony & Holy Orders.
Confirmation is one of three sacraments of initiation, namely Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist. A person who has received all three of these sacraments is considered a fully initiated Catholic.
The priest or bishop lays their hands upon the person receiving Confirmation, the priest or bishop says, “Be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit”, the person says, “Amen”, and then they are anointed with holy oil (just like King David).
- Brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace;
- Roots us more deeply in the divine childhood which makes us cry “Abba”!
- Unites us more firmly to Christ;
- Increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
- Renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
- Gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross.
A fully initiated Catholic can be:
- A godparent
- A Confirmation sponsor
- A reader who reads scripture at Mass
- An extraordinary minister of the Eucharist
– At mass
– To the sick
– And many other ministries.
For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church, section 1285.
Sacrament of Confirmation
Adult Sacramental Preparation Sessions
It will be necessary for parent/s to attend an Adult Faith Education Course in preparation for their child’s reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Time: 7.30pm – 8.30pm
Dates: Wednesday 10th October and 17th October
Time: 4.00pm – 5.00pm
Dates: Saturdays 13th October and Saturday 20th October
Please note that these sessions are planned for one hour’s duration. Another key date for the Sacrament of Confirmation is the weekend 13th & 14th October. Parents are asked to bring their child/children along to any of the weekend Masses to make a commitment to the preparation of this Sacrament.
Confirmation Mass will be celebrated by Bishop Peter Elliott on Sunday October 28nd at 1.30pm.